(PRI 1659-10 = 'Starking 'Delicious' x PRI 610-2) (Williams et al. 1972) U.S. Plant Patent No. 4,321
- Fruit: 70 to 76 mm or more (2-3/4 to 3+ in.); conic with pronounced calyx end points; very bright finish; bright red blushed 100% self yellow to pale-yellow, very attractive; very smooth, non-russeted skin; totally inconspicuous lenticels; medium grained, cream to pale yellow colored, firm to crisp, slightly tender flesh; sweet to mildly sub-acid, bland, slightly spicy flavor, juicy. Flavor and quality similar to, but less than 'Delicious'. Softens and becomes mealy in storage.
- Season of Maturity: With 'Delicious'.
- Tree: Moderately vigorous, strong, thick, heavily spurred branches with 90 degree crotch angles, excellent growth habit.
- Disease Resistance: Field immune to apple scab; moderately resistant to powdery mildew; highly resistant to cedar-apple rust; moderately resistant to fire blight.
- Problems: Bland, insufficient flavor; tender flesh, alternate bearing, extremely heavy fruit drop, inadequate storage life for the season. Highly susceptible to leaf bronzing damage by the European red mite Panonychus ulmi (Koch.).
- General Recommendation: Problems too severe for further consideration. Discarded at Lafayette.
Co-op Summary Table
Co-op Bloom Date
Co-op Release Description