HORT603 - Grants and Grantsmanship
Characteristics of Poor Grant Proposals
- Proposed research has already been done by others.
- Derivative research (research may be viewed as a repetition of what has already been accomplished in other systems).
- Contingent aims.
- Dead-end research.
- Technique searching for a problem.
- Poor justification.
- PI or PIs lack necessary technical expertise.
- Not using the most direct approach.
- Wrong choice of experimental system.
- Too broad and overly ambitious.
- Too narrow in scope.
- No preliminary data.
- Lacks sufficient details for adequate evaluation.
- Poorly written and presented.
Department of Horticulture & Landscape Architecture
625 Agriculture Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2010
Last Update: 01/07/08